The Maya Jacket is a work of art - certainly the most incredible piece of craftsmanship we have ever had in store. Featuring techniques from artisan groups around India, from the hand-weaving of the fabric to hand clamp-dying, hand stitching and finishing, this is a piece that will exist in your wardrobe and family for decades to come. Only 3 have been made.
The jacket is long through the front and shorter at the back, and can be secured with the waist tie, which features contrasting red stripe fabric on one side. The collar features several layers of subtle pleating, the sleeves balloon and then gather at the wrist.
Fab over anything really - whether you pop jeans or a simple tank dress beneath, you'll feel pretty spesh when you head out in this baby!
* Scroll down for more images, and excuse the modelling by yours truly #isolife
- Made ethically in Pune, India
- Made from hand-woven and hand-dyed cotton, supporting artisan communities and techniques from around the country
- Sizing: S = AU 6-8, M= AU 10, L = AU 12. If in-between sizes and want a less-oversized fit you may choose to size down.
- Cold gentle hand wash separately if needed
- Do not bleach or use harsh chemicals, soak, wring or rub
- Do not tumble dry – line dry in shade
- Cool iron under a pressing cloth if needed
More about Ka-Sha
Ka-Sha was founded in 2012 by Karishma Shahani Khan, celebrating multi-layered cultures and using design as a form of storytelling. Sustainability is at the heart of Ka-Sha. The embrace sustainability at all levels from design to sourcing, production and distribution. They use natural fibres and endeavor to be entirely zero waste, using the skills of their designers to recycle and upcycle fabric and scraps. They also focus on providing their makers – master craftsmen – with good conditions in which they can grow as individuals.
When we visited their studio in Pune (India) – which is both their shopfront (although most pieces are made to order) and sewing room, we saw rugs, scarves, and backpacks made from their fabric scraps. It is a beautiful thing to see!
Ka-Sha make all of our orders to order, which means no waste or excess is produced. In their studio in India they also make the majority of customer orders to order, meaning little waste and the perfect fit, and ensuring garments are worn and loved for years to come.